By day I work as a web developer. As I like talking about all things web here is the one page in the site where food WON’T be mentioned (don’t worry I don’t expect there to be more) but I let you know what went into making the site and say thanks to the people who helped me in getting it live.
To make my life easier by not having to write that much PHP I used the following plug-ins:
- Akismet – to trap as many spam comments as possible
- Custom Field template – to make it easier to drop review data into pre-formatted fields
- Google XML sitemap generator – so Google finds out about my new content
- Platinum SEO – allows me to tinker with redirects and post metadata
- Twitter tools – so you can see my tweets
- Reporteur – provides me with a mini overview of my analytics stats
- WordPress backup to Dropbox – so if the server blows up I’ll at least have my content backed-up
- Yet Another Related Posts Plugin – so people can find posts similar to the one they’re reading
To further enhance the site I’m using the following APIs:
- flickr to import in the photos I have alongside each review
- google static maps to embed the mini location maps for each place I visit
My theme files are all on github so you can see how things are looking under the hood. If you like stuff please use it and please feel free to ask me questions about anything there. Of course the plugins are not my own work, but having them all in one place is making it really easy to keep the site well maintained!
I’ll be tweaking things over time (I’ve already got a few things planned), if you’re interested then you’ll be able to see what I’m up to on this page.